Printing – Exploring Colour and Shape

 


Since I have decided to focus on a background of Saltaire homes in repeat for my textile piece, printing was a natural next step.

Firstly, I tried simple foam printing. I drew the outline of a row of Saltaire homes onto child’s craft foam using a blunt pencil, which left an indent. I then pressed the foam into some printing ink and pressed onto paper, repeating until the paper was covered.

Above: foam print not very crisp or clear

This design appealed to me as it captured the uniform nature of the gridline streets within Saltaire, and the methodology captured the child-like theme behind a model village. However, the results were blurry and none of the striking architectural elements were visible. 

My next experiment was to print using a template. For this, I first dyed a small piece of white cotton with tea, the methodology of which I explain in more detail in my visual portfolio, the idea behind the tea was threefold. First, it is a sustainable method of staining, which ties in nicely with the project consideration of sustainability. Secondly, tea represents home and human habitat; a ‘liquid comfort blanket’. And thirdly, tea is a very similar colour to the Yorkshire stone used to build Saltaire houses. At this stage I am still considering whether to use a ‘brown’ background or stick with the more graphic monochrome.

Above: Procion dye paste on tea-stained white cotton

Once dry, I placed a paper stencil over the stained cotton and delicately dappled black Procion dye over using a paintbrush. You can see from the result above a number of the stronger building features, such as the archways over the door, but this method was not as successful as I would have liked.

Digital printing was my next experiment. After playing with lots of different outlines, first with pen on paper, then adapting these images on photoshop, I used an online printing company, Contrado. Using Contrado’s online tool allowed me to alter the scale of my design and choose the fabric to be printed on. I chose a cotton twill for my initial experiment, since this would be hardy for outdoor use. The results can be seen in the top picture, above, and below.


Above: digital print of a repeat design

As you can see, digital printing makes every minute detail very obvious, so I would need to finetune my design! On the plus side, digital printing is a sustainable option because it produces little waste (Wisbrun, 2011). In this particular case, the ink is water-based, and digital printing uses less chemicals than other textile industry methods (Wisbrun, 2011). It would mean however, I would have to use new fabric, rather than re-formatting pre-used or vintage scraps.

Finally, I tried screen printing. I love the graphic element of screen printing and thought this would work well with my design. The sample below was my first attempt; achieved by cutting a basic template out of newsprint paper and using a mix of Manutex with a number of Procion dye pastes. Although the colours were wrong, it was a useful experiment in colour overlap and ‘figuring out’ positive and negative space when printing.


Above: my first attempt at screen printing, with a template of a typical Saltaire window

Using a more complex series of templates below, I tried a more ‘realistic' colour palette for my Saltaire houses. With limited dye colours available, I swapped a brown for yellow, mixed a green to use in place of white, and finished with a black for the architectural markings.

 Above: mixing together Procion dyes and Manutex to create the desired colours, and a template cut from newsprint; one of three templates for my attempt at overlaying colours and outline.

The shapes were relatively crisp for a first attempt although waiting between each colour step was time-consuming, despite the use of a hairdryer! And while the colours are striking, I am still erring towards a simpler monochrome design for my background pattern. This would be a perfect method for maintaining a complete hand-made approach to producing my textile product, but as a newcomer to screen printing, I would need to consider whether my current skill-level is high enough for the product I would like to produce.

Above: the process

Above: the finished print. 3 templates, 3 colours to achieve the key architectural elements


Bibliography

Wisbrun, L. (2011) The Complete Guide to Designing and Printing Fabric. A & C Black Publishers Limited

Comments